Friday, December 8, 2017

2017 In Review

It’s hard to believe we are rounding the corner of 2017, and heading into a brand new year. I’d like to thank everyone for your support and patronage over the last twelve months, which were fantastic for me and my art.

There were many highlights throughout the year, but I’d love to highlight what particularly stands out as I reflect back.

In late 2016, I won first place at the Members Show at the Art League of Ocean City. This allowed me the great privilege of showing my painting in the “Best of 2016” show at the Art League in January 2017, and also meant my work was included in the gallery’s marketing materials for 2017. While winning first place was wonderful on its own, it was also special to see my work used to reach a wider audience in promoting the gallery.

I also won third place in the art show “Text,” with a collage/acrylic piece named #5 Montgomery Ave. This was especially meaningful for me because the name of the show also corresponds with the address of the first home my husband and I purchased. This win will mean the painting will be showcased in the Art League’s “Best of 2017” show, scheduled for January 2018.

In August, I was pleased to show at the Oasis Gallery, in a joint show with fellow artist Estelle Zornan. Later in the year, I partnered with my friend and fellow artist Carolyn Avery in another joint show, this one at The Yellow Barn at Glen Echo.

2017 also saw my first-ever solo show. I was pleased to present “Chapter Three” at ArtWorks Now, where my show was the first to visit their brand-new facility. The opening of the show, and of the building, was attended by Prince George’s Country Executive Rushern Baker, the Mayor of Hyattsville, Candace B. Hollingsworth, members of the Prince George’s County Arts Council, and many others.

Lastly, I’m very proud to have been asked to judge the resident art show at the Riderwood Senior Residence. Out of 110 submitted pieces, 80 were chosen for the show. The artists ranged in age from 65-80+, and represented a variety of backgrounds: engineers, housewives, scientists, writers and more. The artwork was exceptional, and the show was particularly meaningful for me as it reinforced my belief that art is timeless, ageless and of great importance for all.

I wish you a wonderful holiday season and a healthy and happy New Year. I look forward to making new art – and new memories – in 2018.


No comments:

Post a Comment